- 1 Progressive's Snapshot Device. Plug It In And See If You'll Save! (Photo: Business Wire)
- 2 Everything You Need to Know About Progressive Insurance
- 2.0.1 What Are Progressive's Best Home Insurance Products And Services?
- 2.0.2 What Does Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance Cover?
- 2.0.3 What Does Progressive’s Homeowners or Renters Insurance Cost?
- 2.0.4 How Do Customers Rate Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance?
- 2.0.5 The Advantage Life Program From Progressive and Efinancial
- 2.0.6 How Much Does Progressive Insurance Go Up After an Accident and/or Citation?
- 2.0.7 What Does Progressive’s Comprehensive Insurance Cover?
- 2.0.8 Does My Progressive Insurance Cover Me in Canada (or Internationally)?
- 2.0.9 How User-Friendly Is the Progressive App or Website?
Progressive's Snapshot Device. Plug It In And See If You'll Save! (Photo: Business Wire)
Business travelers who park their cars at the airport several days a week. Families with an extra car they only drive occasionally. Drivers who avoid slamming on the brakes. They’re all less likely to be in an accident and can save money on their car insurance with Snapshot, Progressive’s optional Pay As You Drive ® insurance discount program, a form of insurance also known as usage-based insurance ( UBI) that has formally launched in Tennessee.
Progressive's Snapshot device. Plug it in and see if you'll save! (Photo: Business Wire)
With Snapshot, consumers can save on their car insurance based on their safe driving habits. Drivers currently earning discounts in the optional program are already saving an average of $150 per year. The program is now available to Progressive customers in Tennessee and open for a free test drive to all drivers in the state even if they are not Progressive customers. To test drive Snapshot, visit: http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-test-drive.aspx or call your local agent.
Snapshot creates a personalized insurance rate based on a driver’s actual habits. Progressive has been awarded seven patents on the methods and systems used in Snapshot, creating a program that is unmatched in its advanced technology, security and ability to optimize discounts for customers.
“More than 1.6 million drivers have participated in our program to get personalized car insurance rates by sharing information about their safe driving,” said Dave Pratt, Progressive’s general manager of usage-based insurance. “Now, Tennessee drivers are just 30 days away from saving with Snapshot.”
How Snapshot Works
- After drivers sign up for the Snapshot program, they receive a device that fits in the palm of their hand and plugs into the on-board diagnostic (OBD) port of their car. The Snapshot device measures how, how much and when consumers drive their vehicle, then sends that driving data to Progressive.
- After 30 days, customers will find out if they’re eligible for a discount based on their driving habits. People who drive less, in safer ways and during safer times of day are more likely to get a discount.
- Customers who keep the device installed for their six-month policy term will receive their final discount and return the device to Progressive.
- Non-customers who test drive Snapshot will have the option to switch to Progressive and apply their discount, or return the device to Progressive without switching.
- Snapshot is voluntary and customers can opt out at any time.
- Drivers who are not Progressive customers are not required to switch after test driving Snapshot.
- Drivers can earn a discount based on their driving behavior – of those who plug in the device, most drivers save.
- Customers can review their projected discount simply by visiting www.progressive.com and logging into their policy, or using Progressive’s mobile app.
- Progressive has tested and refined its UBI program for more than 15 years and has collected more than nine billion miles of driving data.
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies makes it easy to understand, buy and use auto insurance. Progressive offers choices so consumers can reach it whenever, wherever and however it’s most convenient—online at progressive.com, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, on a mobile device or in-person with a local agent.
Progressive also offers insurance for personal and commercial autos and trucks, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, as well as home insurance through select carriers. It’s the fourth largest auto insurer in the country, the largest seller of motorcycle insurance and a leader in commercial auto insurance. Progressive also offers car insurance online in Australia at http://www.progressiveonline.com.au.
Founded in 1937, Progressive continues its long history of offering shopping tools and services that save customers time and money, like Name Your Price®, Snapshot® and Service Centers.
The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the Mayfield Village, Ohio-based holding company, trade publicly at (NYSE:PGR).
Everything You Need to Know About Progressive Insurance
Progressive is one of America's largest insurance companies. Is it right for you? See how Progressive stacks up to the competition in this ultimate guide.
Progressive Insurance provides home, auto and life insurance coverage to millions of Americans. But should you be one of them? That's the question this guide is built to help you answer. From info about Progressive's rates to common complaints, this is the ultimate resource for deciding whether Progressive is right for you!
Progressive Mutual Insurance Company – established in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green – started as an opportunity to give vehicle owners “security and protection” and has since helped revolutionize the insurance industry. Over the last several decades, Progressive has grown to become one of the largest insurers in the nation.
In fact, Progressive was the first to introduce drive-in claims service and paying insurance premiums in installments, which aimed to make auto insurance easy and accessible for all customers. Since its founding, the company has expanded to encompass many insurance offerings.
Below, we'll cover info about each of Progressive's insurance services in more detail!
Progressive offers multiple types of insurance products, such as:
What Are Progressive's Best Home Insurance Products And Services?
While customers ranked Progressive’s customer service satisfaction lower than some other major providers, its policy offerings get above-average ratings from J.D. Power. According to reviews of its services, Progressive’s best home insurance offerings include:
What Does Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance Cover?
When it comes to protecting your home, Progressive offers a wide range of insurance solutions for every type of homeowner. Regardless of the claim size, protection from a major insurance provider can give you peace of mind in the event of an accident or disaster. Having home insurance services from Progressive can protect your personal belongings (even if they aren’t stored in your home) from damage or theft, and coverage with Progressive even covers hotel expenses and legal fees should you need them.
Progressive offers property coverage to protect condos and helps you maintain upgrades and cover repairs, including floors, walls, and fixtures. Progressive also offers liability protection that covers significant expenses like damages or a lawsuit.
For the millions of Americans who currently rent their home, renters insurance from Progressive can help cover the items you own, like electronics and jewelry, which can be costly to purchase and even more expensive to replace if your insurance provider is reimbursing you with the depreciated value when they’re lost or damaged.
With Progressive’s renters insurance, your valuables will be replaced for the price they cost when newly purchased, so you don’t need to worry about downgrading your computer or TV or covering the difference yourself. Also, if an accident should happen while renting, you and anyone who is in your apartment or home at that time will be covered by your policy.
As with any other form of a deductible, you pay a portion of the repair or medical bills, and Progressive covers the rest.
What Does Progressive’s Homeowners or Renters Insurance Cost?
Use our free quote tool to get an idea of what Progressive’s home insurance could cost you. Keep in mind, Progressive also has bundled offers, so you may end up paying even less. Here are a couple of examples of what you might expect to pay for homeowners and renters insurance from Progressive.
- Someone in Salem, Oregon, renting an apartment for just over $1,000 a month might pay $195 a year in renters insurance.
- Someone in Boise, Idaho, renting a townhouse for $1,450 a month might pay $255 a year for renters insurance.
- Someone in Sacramento, California, who owns a single-family home worth between $600,000 and $700,000 might pay $834 a year based on our estimates.
- Someone in Nashville, Tennessee, renting a studio apartment for just over $1,300 a month might pay $218 a year for his or her renters insurance through Progressive.
How Do Customers Rate Progressive Homeowners and Renters Insurance?
Most mention their competitive rates as a key reason that Progressive works for most customers. While Progressive currently isn’t listed as an accredited Better Business Bureau company (companies pay to be listed as accredited, which means they’ve made a commitment to resolve customer complaints), its BBB rating is listed as an A with over 100 customer reviews on the site.
Progressive seems to have some fairly innovative ways of providing standard auto insurance premiums and making sure its customers pay a fair price for them.
For instance, safe driving habits can boost your savings with Progressive’s Snapshot program. Just plug the Snapshot device into your car’s diagnostic port and it will collect data on how often and when you drive, as well as how cautious you are.
Your safe driving habits can save you money on your car insurance and don’t require extra legwork on your part. The device sends the data back to Progressive and, hopefully, (depending on how safe you are) saves you a bit of cash.
While Progressive advertises its Snapshot program as a way to save money, some users have reported negative experiences with the tool, and even occasionally a rate increase based on the findings of the system. However, even those who didn’t achieve the savings they were looking for admitted to learning better (and safer) driving habits from the results produced by the Snapshot program.
Accidents happen, so making sure you’re covered is important. Like most providers, Progressive offers bodily injury and property damage liability to help protect you regardless of who is at fault when something goes wrong. The company will pay the other driver’s medical bills (and any of their passengers) and for any damage. It will even protect you in the case of a lawsuit for the ultimate peace of mind.
Collision coverage will protect you if you hit or get hit by another vehicle. You choose your deductible, and Progressive will take care of the rest. Comprehensive coverage will protect your vehicle if something other than a collision damages it. You just pay the deductible, and they will pay the difference.
In 2016, J.D. Power rated Progressive’s claim satisfaction a three out of five stars, or “about average.” The two subcategories where it shined the most were car appraisal and rental car satisfaction – earning a four out of five (or “better than most”) for both. Allstate offers a claim satisfaction guarantee but received practically identical ratings to Progressive in the same J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
One of Progressive's unique auto insurance solutions that can work in your favor is its accident forgiveness option. It comes standard on any auto policy, but you must be a Progressive auto policyholder for four years to qualify and be accident-free for three consecutive years. If you meet these criteria and then have an accident (even one that you’re at fault for), Progressive won’t change your rate.
You can save by bundling your home and auto insurance. Progressive suggests that saving should be – and is – as easy as possible and that its customers save almost $600 when they switch. You can even bundle with renters insurance or coverage on a condo or townhouse, giving you multiple ways to bundle and save depending on your living status. See our larger section below on the total discounts for more information.
Using the Quote.com tool, we found that monthly rates with Progressive can range from as little as $46 a month to over $420, depending on factors such as age, location, and vehicle. Below are a few of the Progressive quotes we created.
Depending on your driving history and the discounts you qualify for, your rate may vary. Visit Quote.com to get a personalized quote from Progressive.
- A 21-year-old male in San Diego, California, driving a 2014 Dodge Charger might pay over $240 a month.
- A 23-year-old female in Wichita, Kansas, driving a 2013 Toyota Tundra might pay approximately $152 a month.
- A 35-year-old male in Boulder, Colorado, driving a 2012 Nissan Xterra might pay less than $47 a month.
- A 29-year-old female in Brooklyn, New York, driving a 2013 Ford Focus might pay $428 a month.
- A 49-year-old-male in Pierre, South Dakota, driving a 2002 Ford F-150 might pay $30 a month.
Progressive Auto Insurance gets overall average ratings online. With over 2,300 individual reviews, it scored almost three out of five stars.
Positive reviews list price and policy options, and common complaints mention the difficulty of getting claims covered and the quality of recommended service centers. Some users also reported long wait times to speak with a customer service agent.
The Advantage Life Program From Progressive and Efinancial
Life insurance may not be a fun thing to think about or shop for, but the reality is you never want to leave your family without it in the event of a tragedy. Progressive says its goal is to help your family maintain the lifestyle they’ve grown accustomed to, no matter what happens. Progressive Advantage life insurance (which is powered by a third party, Efinancial) can help your family pay for funeral expenses, housing costs, and medical bills not otherwise covered by health insurance.
Flexibility from the provider helps make life insurance obtainable for most people. With rates starting at just $14 a month and coverage from $50,000 to $1 million, Progressive is focused on helping you find the right life insurance policy for you and your family. It offers term life insurance (for standard options of 10, 15, 20, and 30 years), permanent life insurance, and final expense insurance, depending on your needs and budget.
Progressive’s life insurance coverage gets good reviews. While there are fewer overall comments, Progressive scored almost four out of five stars online.
Positive reviews mention low rates of coverage and multiple policy options, and negative reviews commonly refer to customer service when filing a claim.
Progressive's "Umbrella" coverage aims to protect your family’s assets, from college funds to retirement nest eggs, which can require additional liability coverage. In the event of a legal liability claim, the lifestyle your family has worked for can be at risk. Progressive offers personal umbrella coverage, which can help provide up to $5 million ranging from personal injury to vacation rental and defense coverage.
Despite what you may think about personal umbrella coverage, it isn’t just for the wealthy, and Progressive offers comprehensive and affordable options to help you stay in control, even if you can’t control certain events.
While many insurance companies offer discounts, Progressive prides itself on the amount it offers. There are several savings opportunities to help everyone find the right insurance.
- With Progressive, you can add an additional 5 to 12 percent on top of any other savings you might qualify for by adding a property policy to your auto policy. This includes homeowners insurance, rental insurance, and condo or townhouse coverage.
- Safe driver discounts can lower your price by almost 30 percent. If your driving record is clean over the last three years, you can significantly lower the price of your premium with Progressive.
- Here’s a real easy one: Start your quote online and save an average 7 percent.
- Sign your documents online. Save a tree and an average of $50.
- If you or your child is in school and maintain B’s or higher, you can qualify for Progressive’s good student discount.
- Discounts for how you pay. If you pay your six-month premium all at once or sign up for automatic payments, you’ll get peace of mind and extra savings.
- Multiple policy discounts. Because Progressive offers so much more than property and auto insurance, if you add any additional policies (including motorcycle, boat, life insurance, or an umbrella policy), you can earn extra discounts. There’s no additional legwork required –Progressive will ask you to bundle your services and tell you how much you’re saving.
- Progressive offers a Name Your Price Tool to help you find the right coverage for your budget. You start by getting a quote from Progressive, and then you can adjust the rate based on your budget. Progressive will then help you adjust the coverage to match your target cost.
There’s no limit to the number of discounts you can qualify for, and 95 percent of Progressive’s customers qualify for at least one type of savings.
With an extensive variety of coverages to choose from, you can:
Insure everything from your home and car to your assets and pets with Progressive’s wide array of product offerings.
Use innovative savings tools like the Snapshot program and Name Your Price Tool. Progressive’s roadside assistance program gives additional support if you find yourself in need of a fuel delivery or towing.
Get back precious time with Progressive’s concierge claims, from finding a body shop to securing your rental.
Use Progressive’s Snapshot program to earn extra savings depending on your overall driving habits.
Why might Progressive – with the above benefits – not work for you?
Better Business Bureau complaints identify that customers sometimes struggle with increases in their premium price year after year. It is an industry practice across most providers to adjust premiums.
Some customers also expressed frustration with Progressive’s rate plans. This is offset by discounts offered through bundling insurances that can help keep your policy at a minimum while still ensuring its world-class coverage.
#1 Auto Insurance: Progressive’s most well-reviewed insurance service is its auto coverage. Because of its opportunities for discounts and forgiveness policies, customers rate Progressive’s auto insurance the highest compared to the more than two dozen services Progressive offered.
#2 Homeowners Insurance: Progressive’s homeowners insurance was ranked as its second-highest overall service. Affordable and significant financial strength make Progressive’s homeowners insurance a good buy.
#3 Life Insurance: Progressive’s life insurance policies are also among its highest rated services overall. With affordable rates and options, Progressive’s life insurance receives regular satisfactory reviews from a wide range of customers.
Difficulty Canceling Your Progressive Insurance: This is one area where Progressive seems to get a bit of flack, but its website suggests it’s easy to do. If you’ve decided that Progressive isn’t right for you and that parting ways (for whatever reason) is the right course of action, you can cancel your policy one of two ways:
- Call 1-800-776-4737 and speak to an agent about your concerns. They can help you from there.
- Do it online. Log in to your online portal and choose the “Cancel policy” link located at the bottom of your MyProgressive page.
Difficulty Filing a Claim: This is another area where Progressive sometimes gets negative reviews. Customers have reported to the Better Business Bureau that they found Progressive’s customer service less than helpful when it came time to report an accident or citation.
Progressive’s Snapshot Program: While some customers have reported positive experiences with the Snapshot program, others have detailed how it raised their premiums, and some have reported mechanical malfunctions with the device that drained their car battery.
So, you’ve signed up for Progressive, and you’ve had your first accident. Now what?
- The first step is to always report the claim. Login to your Progressive portal or call the toll-free number to get the claims process started as quickly as possible.
- By the end of the business day, a claims agent will (usually) respond to your request and set up a date and time for vehicle inspection.
- They’ll then provide an estimate for the repairs as well as cover any policy or procedural questions you may have.
- After the estimate, Progressive will help you arrange for vehicle repairs and towing if you need it. If you’re close enough to a Progressive Service Center, they’ll even handle the repairs for you, so you don’t have to source an auto shop. If not, they’ll recommend an in-network repair center you can bring your vehicle to. You can always use your own mechanic if you prefer. Note: If you use a Progressive Service Center or in-network shop, Progressive will guarantee the repair for as long as you lease or own your car.
- If you need a rental, this is where your claims representative comes in.
- Progressive will monitor the progress of your repair and keep you updated along the way until you’re back in your car and moving on with your life.
If you’re in the U.S. and wondering if your state is covered, we’ve done some digging.
- Auto and homeowners insurance are available nationwide, with the exception of Florida and Alaska.
- Progressive motorcycle coverage is not available in Alaska, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, or South Carolina.
- Progressive RV insurance is not available in Washington, D.C., or Hawaii.
You can go online and request a quote or call an agent today for more specific state-by-state offerings.
As of 2015, Progressive wrote almost 13.7 million personal policies and over 550,000 commercial policies. It also had over 1 million property policies at the time.
How Much Does Progressive Insurance Go Up After an Accident and/or Citation?
The answer to this can vary significantly based on the severity of the collision. Of course, Progressive’s accident forgiveness program can help keep these costs as low as possible and their website suggests a driver would need two tickets or citations before they saw their premium increase. Generally speaking, citations can increase your premium by anywhere from 3-22 percent, depending on the type of violation.
What Does Progressive’s Comprehensive Insurance Cover?
Comprehensive covers your vehicle in case of any damage not caused by an accident. This can include fires, vandalism, and even flooding. You pay your deductible, and Progressive will pay for the rest of the damage.
Yes! If you elect rental reimbursement when selecting your policy, you’ll be covered for the cost of a rental if your car is ever in for a repair due to a claim.
Does My Progressive Insurance Cover Me in Canada (or Internationally)?
Progressive policies extend to Canada, but no other international countries, unfortunately.
Like most providers, Progressive uses your credit score to help underwrite and determine your policy rate.
How User-Friendly Is the Progressive App or Website?
Google Play and Apple iPhone users both rate the app differently, but one user said, “I've been with USAA, Geico, Amica, and now Progressive. Progressive's app is my favorite. Simple, straight to the point, and everything at my fingertips. Online quote took two minutes, policy and dollar amount at the end was accurate after they ran the DMV check. Super competitive pricing. I called a progressive rep so they could fax the 2A form for me. She was friendly and knew her stuff. If they keep it up, you have a long-term customer. Please keep the current UI the best you can!”
While Progressive’s rates aren’t considered aggressive, the company does offer more unique opportunities for discounts on your policy than most major providers. Particularly if you have good credit, bundle multiple services, or have a clean driving record, Progressive could be the provider for you.
Progressive is rated an A+ from independent companies like A.M. Best. That excellent rating means you can be confident your coverage is backed by excellent capital and fiscal integrity.
Of course, the best way to know whether Progressive is right for you in terms of both coverage and cost is to compare their offerings to the competition.