Frequently Asked Questions About Individual Income Tax Refunds

You can check the status of your refund online by using our Where’s My Refund? web service. In order to view status information, you will be prompted to enter the first social security number listed on your tax return along with the exact amount of your refund shown on line 33 of Form D-400, Individual Income Tax Return.

You can also call our toll-free refund inquiry line at 1-877-252-4052, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Refund checks are written weekly. If you contact our refund inquiry line and you are advised that your check has not been written, please wait 7 days before calling the refund inquiry line again.

  • My refund check has been lost, destroyed or stolen. What should I do?

    If your refund has been lost, destroyed or stolen, you must write the NC Department of Revenue to request another check. We must have your written authorization before issuing a stop payment or beginning forgery proceedings. If you filed a joint return, you and your spouse must both sign the letter. Be sure to include your current address, social security number, the tax year and a statement asking for a stop payment or for the Department to begin forgery proceedings.

    We will notify you in writing within 30 days after receiving your letter to advise you of the stop payment or forgery procedures. In the case of a stop payment, another check is usually issued between 30 to 60 days from the time the Department receives your letter; however, if your check has been cashed by someone else, forgery proceedings will take at least 120 days to be completed.

    If you receive your refund check after you have mailed your letter requesting a replacement check, do not cash the check. Instead, return the check to the NC Department of Revenue.

    Mail your written request to NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, P O Box 1168, Raleigh, NC 27602-1168. For faster service, you may fax your request to (919) 733-5750.

  • If I owe the IRS or a State agency, will I receive my NC refund?

    Before the NC Department of Revenue issues a refund, we are required to check for any outstanding debt that you may have with the agencies of NC or the IRS for which we have received notification. If any such debt is found, the amount you owe may be deducted from your refund. Examples of this type of indebtedness would be owing Child Support or owing a university for a student loan.

    State and local agencies of NC may file a claim with the NC Department of Revenue for a taxpayer's refund.

    If all or a portion of your refund is applied against your debt with another agency, the NC Department of Revenue will send you a notice to identify the state agency receiving your refund and the telephone number of the agency. If you file a joint tax return, your spouse's portion of the refund will not be applied to your debt. If a portion of your refund is sent to a state agency, the remainder of your refund will be mailed after the offset occurs.

    If you owe the IRS, the total refund shown on your return may be sent to their agency. If you file a joint return, there is no provision in State or Federal law that allows the NC Department of Revenue to prorate your IRS refund. If you have "innocent spouse" status or "injured spouse" status with the IRS, you will need to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for any refund that may be due.

    If you have had all or a portion of your refund withheld because of a debt and you have questions regarding the debt, you should contact the state agency or the IRS, who claimed your refund rather than the NC Department of Revenue. The Department of Revenue would not have any additional information concerning your balance with the state agency or with the IRS.

  • I checked the status of my refund and I was told that all or a portion of my refund has been applied to my indebtedness with the NC Department of Revenue. I was not aware that I owe the Department. Who can I call to get more information?