your 2016 tax return was accessed

If your parents (or someone else) can claim you as a dependent, and any of the situations below apply to you, you must file a return.

1. Your unearned income was more than 1 050 $.

2. Your earned income was more than 6 300 $.

3. Your gross income was more than the larger of: 1) 1 050 $, or 2) Your earned income (up to 5 950 $) plus 350 $.

1. Your earned income was more than 7 850 $ (9 400 $ if 65 or older and blind).

2. Your unearned income was more than 2 600 $ (4 150 $ if 65 or older and blind).

3. Your gross income was more than the larger of: 1) your earned income (up to 5 950 $) plus 1 900 $ (3 450 $ if 65 or older and blind), or 2) 2 600 $ (4 150 $ if 65 or older and blind).

1. Your earned income was more than 6 300 $.

2. Your unearned income was more than 1 050 $.

3. Your gross income was more than the larger of: 1) 1 050 $, or 2) Your earned income (up to 5 950 $) plus 350 $.

4. Your gross income was at least $5 and your spouse files a separate return and itemizes deductions.

1. Your earned income was more than 7 550 $ (8 800 $ if 65 or older and blind).

2. Your unearned income was more than 2 300 $ (3 550 $ if 65 or older and blind).

3. Your gross income was more than the larger of: 1) your earned income (up to 5 950 $) plus 1 600 $ (2 850 $ if 65 or older and blind) or 2) 2 300 $ (3 550 $ if 65 or older and blind).

4. Your gross income was at least $5 and your spouse files a separate return and itemizes deductions.

If your child is younger than age 19 and the child's only income is interest and dividends (including Alaska Permanent Fund dividends) and certain other conditions are met, a parent can elect to include the child's income on the parent's return. If this election is made, the child does not have to file a return. The election is made on Form 8814.

You must file a return even if your income is less than the normal filing threshold if any of the following conditions below apply for 2016.

1. You owe any special taxes, such as Social security and Medicare tax on tips you did not report to your employer, Uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance, Alternative minimum tax, Tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account.

2. You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) received HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA distributions..

3. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least 400 $.

4. You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes.

2016 Tax Refund Calculator: When Can You File 2015 Taxes, How Long Will Tax Refund Checks Take?

Tax season is upon us and taxpayers who are expecting a refund are anxious to submit their 2015 tax forms and get their refund check in the bank. When will the IRS start accepting returns, how much will you get back, and when can you expect your refund to arrive?

Find a tax refund calculator, the date you can submit your return, free file information, and the IRS 2016 tax refund schedule below.

When To File: This year, the IRS will begin accepting returns on January 19. Tax forms are generally available at public libraries, however e-filing your return will speed up your refund. Find Law reports that if you e-file and use direct deposit, you will get your refund in half the time as taxpayers who file by mail and request a paper check.

Free File: When you are ready to file your 2015 taxes, you may be able to use the Free File program. According to the IRS, if you made $60,000 or less, you could be eligible to file your federal taxes for free. Go to to see if you qualify.

Refund Calculators: Not sure how much your refund will be? Hopefully, you will get a great return and won’t have to pay Uncle Sam. The best way to estimate how much your refund will be (or your tax payment) is to use an online tax refund calculator. Although the results probably won’t be 100 percent accurate, it will give you an idea as to how much money you will (hopefully) see in your bank account.

Two of the most popular tax refund calculators are from H&R Block and Turbo Tax. You don’t have to use their e-file service to get access to the calculators, but you will have to have some basic information handy.

Before you begin, grab the last paystub you received in 2015 so you can determine your income. When you use the calculator, you will also be asked for your filing status – single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) with dependent child.

IRS Refund Schedule: A confirmed payment release schedule has not been confirmed by the Internal Revenue Service, but they anticipate that 90 percent of the refunds will be issued in less than 21 days.

When you file electronically, you can check the status of your refund by using the IRS’ “Where9rsquo;s My Refund” online tool. Enter your refund amount, social security number, and your filing status 24 hours after your electronic return was accepted and you will get an estimated refund date. If you file by mail, the information won’t be available for approximately four weeks after the date you mailed in your return.

Tax Filing Deadline: Tax day will be a little later this year — good news if you’re a procrastinator. Normally taxes must be completed (and postmarked, if you’re filing by mail) by April 15. The 15th falls on a Friday this year, but reports that because D.C. is observing Emancipation Day on the 15th, the IRS is pushing out the deadline to April 18, 2016.

Whether you plan to take a vacation, pay off some bills, or stash your refund in the bank, direct deposit is the fastest way to get your refund. It’s also the safest way to get your money — a paper check can be stolen or get lost in the mail. According to Taxpayer Advocate Service, it takes about six weeks for the IRS to replace a lost or stolen check that hasn’t been cashed and even longer for refund checks that were cashed by someone other than the person named on the check.

Your 2016 tax return was accessedBrown University

2016 Tax Year Preparation Information

As the tax deadline for the 2016 tax year (April 15, 2017) approaches, OISSS would like to provide you with several resources to help you meet your tax obligations. If you earned income in the form of (salary, student employment, assistantship, fellowship, scholarship or grant) during the year 2016, you are required to file both a federal and a state income tax return. If you worked in more than one state you may be required to file multiple state income tax returns. If you earned income in 2016, a tax summary statement W-2 and/or 1042-S has been issued by the payroll office. These forms are divided into three sections: one section to file with your federal taxes; one section to file with your state taxes; and one section for you to keep with your personal records.

Federal Income Tax/GLACIER Tax Prep

Brown University has purchased a license which will provide current international students and scholars free access to GLACIER Tax Prep an online tax-filing preparation system for Non-Residents-for-Tax-Purposes.

Log on to GLACIER Tax Prep at the link below

Note: Although GLACIER Tax Prep is an online application, you still need to print out the tax return forms and mail them together with the appropriate W-2 and/or 1042-S portion to the I.R.S. as noted upon completion of GLACIER Tax Prep data entry.

If you encounter any problems while using GLACIER Tax Prep, please e-mail the GLACIER Tax Prep Support Center at [email protected] GLACIER Tax Prep will respond to questions via e-mail only.

Nonimmigrants who are considered residents-for-tax-purposes will not be able to use GLACIER Tax Prep to prepare their federal tax returns. However, the GLACIER Tax Prep program will assist you in determining if you qualify as a resident- or nonresident-for-tax-purposes. Residency determination depends on the length of time you have been in the U.S. and the type of visa you hold.

IF GLACIER determines that you are a Resident Alien for U.S. tax purposes, it will not generate your tax forms. Resident Aliens should file Resident tax returns, the same way U.S. citizens do. Resources for Resident Tax filing include:

All nonresident students, scholars and their dependents in F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 status must file Form 8843 "Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition". This form must be filed even if no income was earned in 2016. Form 8843 is not an income tax return, but rather, an informational statement required by the U.S. government. If you qualify to access GLACIER Tax Prep, GLACIER Tax Prep can provide you assistance with Form 8843 as well. If you are a nonresident with no income during 2016 and only need to file Form 8843, please download the form from

Note: GLACIER Tax Prep will not assist you with the preparation of your state income tax return.

You will need to have prepared the Federal income tax return prior to beginning any State income tax return.

See below for information on filing State Tax returns as a Non-Resident Alien.

State Income Tax/SPRINTAX_Tax_Prep

As an International Student or Scholar in the U.S., it is mandatory that you comply with U.S. tax law and understand the tax filing requirements of your visa. If you had U.S. income during 2016, you are obliged to file a 2016 federal tax return and you may need to file a state tax return. Tax returns should be postmarked no later than April 15 th , 2017 to avoid late filing fees and/or late payment penalties and fines.

To make things easier for you, Brown University has arranged the online tax preparation software tool SPRINTAX to guide you through the State tax filing process. Once you have used GLACIER to prepare your Federal income tax return, you should remove SPRINTAX’s Federal Tax Preparation option and fee by uploading the GLACIER prepared Federal income tax return to SPRINTAX.

The regular SPRINTAX fee for a State Return is $25.95. However, Sprintax has given Brown University a $3 discount for the first 100 users by entering code BRWN2016F3. Once the discount code has reached its maximum, users will need to pay the full price.

Log on to SPRINTAX Tax Prep at the link below

For any questions please contact [email protected]

Please note that GLACIER Tax Prep (Arctic International), and SPRINTAX are not affiliated with Brown University and Brown University contracted with Arctic International and SPRINTAX for these courtesy services to be made available to you. Brown does not guarantee any results that might be achieved from the use of GLACIER Tax Prep, and SPRINTAX.

Also note that although GLACIER can prepare your Federal tax return online, and SPRINTAX can prepare your State tax returns online, you are still required to print out the completed returns, sign them, attach all required documentation, and mail them (postmarked no later than the April 15 th tax deadline).

Additional Information on filing State tax returns as a Non-Resident Alien

For instructions on filing your Rhode Island state income tax return, please visit:

On the RI state tax return, page 1 is required, +Schedule II on page 2 if applicable, and your signature goes on the bottom of page 2.

For specific line by line instructions for RI1040NR, see Page I-3 of instructions booklet.

For information on filing other state tax returns please visit:

For personal assistance with filing your RI state income tax return,

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, 1-800-906-9887

Alert: Be aware of tax and other scam attempts!

The IRS warns about possible scam phone calls. Please take a moment and read the information via the links below about how to recognize a tax scam should you receive a suspicious call or phishing email message.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For scams related to immigration related matters please see the USCIS information at