Solidarity Tax Credit and Direct Deposit – TurboTax Takes Care of Both

Turbotax pay taxes with credit card

In the 2010 tax year, Revenu Québec introduced a new credit, the Solidarity Tax Credit. This new credit replaced 3 previous credits:

  • The QST credit
  • The property tax refund
  • The credit for individuals living in northern villages

The credit is calculated based on family income. It is a refundable tax credit, meaning that you get it even if you do not owe income tax.

Why this new credit? The Solidarity Tax Credit:

  • Is intended to protect the buying power of low and medium income households
  • Benefits about 2.7 million Québec households, that is 200,000 more households than the actual 3 credits
  • Amounts to $500/year on average per household ($42 on average per month)

The credit is paid monthly to eligible individuals. To receive the payments, you must be registered for direct deposit with Revenu Québec.

Change in the Course of the Year

The solidarity tax credit is paid once a month to better meet the needs of the individuals receiving it. If your situation changes in the course of the year, the amount of your credit must be revised accordingly.

  • you and your spouse have been separated for 90 days or more because of the breakdown of your relationship
  • you have a new spouse
  • you begin or cease to reside in a northern village
  • you move into an eligible dwelling or a dwelling that is not eligible
  • you are confined to a prison or similar institution
  • you leave Québec to settle elsewhere permanently
  • the number of co-tenants in your dwelling changes

To notify Revenu Québec of any change that could affect the amount of your credit, complete a Notice of Change in Situation – Solidarity Tax Credit (form TP-1029.CS.3-V) or use the Give Notification of a Change in Situation: Solidarity Tax Credit online service. However, if you did not previously claim the solidarity tax credit for the year and you want to claim it because you have been living separately from your spouse for 90 days or more due to the breakdown of your relationship, complete Schedule D instead.